Postman at the intersection of Southern Cross and Coulter Drives, Belconnen. Belconnen is behind us, the suburb of Page is in front to the left, and Florey is ahead and right. The postie was rugged up well against the cold yesterday - they have to deal with freezing temperatures in winter, sweltering temps in summer, and magpies in spring.
Some fast facts from the Australia Post website, referring to the 2009-10 year:
- We delivered 5.1 billion items of mail.
- We deliver to 10.7 million Australian addresses.
- We deliver mail five days a week to 98.8% of delivery points.
- We deliver mail two days a week to 99.9% of delivery points.
- We maintain approximately 16,039 street posting boxes.
- 96.1% of domestic letters were delivered on time or early.
- 97.9% of bulk mail was delivered on time or early.
- The basic postage rate is 60 cents.