Woden was the name given to a property bought in 1837 by Dr James Murray. Dr Murray was a classical scholar as well as a medical doctor, and the name 'Woden' probably came from the Norse God of War and Patron of Learning.
Woden was the first of the Town Centres to be developed in Canberra, with people moving into newly constructed houses in the surrounding suburbs from 1962 onwards. Woden Town Centre is in the suburb of Phillip, named for Captain Arthur Phillip who led the First Fleet and became the new colony of New South Wales' first Governor. Hindmarsh Drive is named after Sir John Hindmarsh, the first Governor of South Australia, while Melrose was the name of a homestead in the area.