Saturday, August 6, 2011
Bandstand, Glebe Park
This is the bandstand, or rotunda, in Glebe Park, Civic. The bandstand only dates from 1989, although the park itself was defined and named in 1983.
In the early 1840s, the land was given to the Anglican Church for use as a glebe - a parcel of land used to support the rector and parish. At the same time, land in nearby Reid was given for a church - St John the Baptist (generally known as just St John's Reid) - which was consecrated in 1845. The rectory was built in the 1870s, across the road near the present location of the Lutheran Church in Reid. After a new rectory was built closer to the church in 1926, the building was used as a school and a guest house, but was finally removed in the 1950s, after being sold to the Acton Football Club, who used the bricks to build a clubhouse in Forrest.
Some of the elm trees in Glebe Park are around 100 years old, descendants of the original plantings by a St John's rector in the 1850s-70s.