Saturday, November 26, 2011

RAAF Memorial Grove


If you turn to the right from the propeller in yesterday's photo, your eye wanders down a path towards a sandstone cairn, through the RAAF Memorial Grove. WWII Royal Australian Air Force veterans started the grove in 1954. The cairn came later, but it wasn't until 2002 that the grove was formally consecrated.

It was starting to rain when we dropped in, but hopefully I'll get back there soon and have a proper look at the memorial plaques along the path.

1 comment:

Leeds daily photo said...

So many young men and women traveled across the world in the defense of freedom. Having read this I did a quick search on Google and have found a grave of a young man in the Australian Flying Corps who is buried here in Leeds from WW1. Oddly its a cemetery I have yet to visit, but I shall the next time I am nearby, he was so far from Willoughby, New South Wales.